Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Definition of Insanity...

is doing the same things over and over expecting different results. It's just not gonna happen. Whether it has to do with a relationship, a health issue, a physical issue or what have you, change just won't take place without...well, change.
My issue on and off my whole life has been my weight. I say on and off, but truthfully it has been mostly *on*. Even when I was wearing size 3's and 5's I thought I was fat. Now in my thirties and two kids later I look back and wonder what on earth I was complaining about. My scale has jumped up and down many a time since then, and more recently I have started to get back in a more reasonable range. I hit a slump at the holidays and put some back on, hearing that familiar whine in the back of my head...'whyyy can't I just keeep the weight offfff'...sniff sniff'.' Ugh...what a weary cycle. So I started exercising my little tail off, eating less, getting on the scale and...no change. What?!?! All that work for nothing?!?!
No, not nothing. I know that somewhere inside me towards the left side of my chest my little heart is thanking me. My blood vessels are probably plugging along a bit more smoothly. My internal systems I'm sure are shouting, "You go girl!". So with that knowledge I have what I need to not throw in the towel. My hard work isn't for nothing. I took a week off from my workouts because we had things going on where I just didn't have time. Once our schedule went back to normal my mind tried to fight me from getting back to my workout routine, but today I made myself do it. And you know what? It felt great! So I'll keep pressing on towards my goal knowing that good changes are happening whether I can see them or not. As a mom I think my perspective has matured a bit. I know my body will never look like it did back in the day...I mean face it, you can't grow human beings inside your body without some alterations in tone and texture. And as much as I want a smaller jean size, tighter buns and smoother thighs as much as the next woman, I guess as long as I'm becoming a healthier mom I'm doing what really counts.

No comments: